vanished

On 7 June, Spanish police received a phone call from a man claiming to know the whereabouts of Madeleine, using a mobile phone registered in Argentina. The call was described as "credible".

In June, Spanish investigative journalist Antonio Toscano claimed that the four-year-old was abducted by a French sex offender, as part of a Europe-wide paedophile network. Then, on 28 June, Toscano claimed that Madeleine was alive and well in Europe but Madeleine's parents refused to meet with him. Determined to leave no stone unturned, police also examined hundreds of reports from psychics and clairvoyants claiming to know the location of Madeleine. The police said that they decided to check them all in case they might contain a message from the kidnapper.

The investigation was thrown into confusion on 10 June when the detective coordinating the hunt, Gonçalo Amaral, head of the regional Polícia Judiciária, and four other Portuguese police officers, were charged with alleged offences relating to the inquiry into the disappearance of Joana Cipriano, from a village seven miles (11 km) from where Madeleine disappeared.

vanished

This site is supporting Kate and Gerry McCann

HomeABOUT MADELEINECalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
ARE YOU STILL LOOKING FOR MADELEINE?

Share | 

news of 2009

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:49 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vanished.niceboards.net
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:50 am

Leicester Mercury

Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 09:30

Group's members did not barrack McCanns' spokesman

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:52 am

Corrreio da Manha

26 March 2009

by Ana Palma

Maddie posters torn off

Residents point at the little girl’s parents and say they are fed up with a situation they are alien to and that has been damaging tourism

Of the big campaign about Maddie’s disappearance that was launched by the McCanns in the area of Luz, Lagos, there was little left, yesterday afternoon, apart from half a dozen posters that had been affixed on bus stops and outdoors. The local population has torn off and shredded the rest of them, throwing them into the garbage.

“They put up a poster on my shop window but I took it off right away”, CM was told by Luís Mamede, the owner of an optics store in Luz, who sees this campaign as “another massacre” for the people in Luz. “It’s enough!”, he said, stressing that “Luz is being hurt by a situation that is alien to it: The child’s parents are to blame but it’s the people who live and work here that have been hurt. Tourists with children are afraid of coming here. That’s unfair, because Luz has always been safe”.

Tiredness and indignation were, in fact, the emotions shown to CM by the locals. For Ana Santos, this campaign by the McCanns “is a clown circus. It’s normal that people remove the posters, because they have nothing to do with what happened and they’ve been seriously hit”. Emílio Caracol says he’s “fed up”. And he adds: “I don’t know the McCanns. I’ve had two children and I’ve guarded them, and I guard my four grandchildren as well.”

The “uselessness” of this campaign was recognised by English citizens Steven Gray and Alan Fox, who were taking a walk around Luz yesterday: “If Maddie is alive, she’s not here.” Concerning the removal of the posters, they consider that “people want to forget and the case is bad for tourism”.

source: Correio da Manhã, 26.03.2009

Translated by Astro: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:54 am

Duarte Levy Word Press

26th March 2009

McCanns Considering Returning to Portugal

Maddie’s parents have launched a new campaign in the Algarve and are thinking about travelling to Portugal to speak about their daughter. But Kate is reticent towards the idea.

Kate and Gerry McCann are considering returning to Portugal before the second anniversary of Madeleine's disappearance, a source close to the couple told 24horas.

"I know that some contacts with the lawyers in Portugal had been made, as well as with friends of the couple in the region, but nothing is confirmed," said the same source, stressing that of the couple "Kate is the more reticent about a possible return."

Kate and Gerry McCann left Portugal in September 2007, after two days of interrogations by the PJ that culminated in the constituting of the couple as arguidos, suspected of being involved in the disappearance of Maddie. Thanks to the intervention of the British authorities, namely Prime Minister Gordon Brown himself and the then-Ambassador John Buck, the couple was able to finish by traveling back to the UK, from which only Gerry McCann returned for a brief visit.

The announcement of the possible return of the couple to our country is not seen with affability by the population of the Algarve, which for the algarvia population, which does not forgive the couple their comments about a country that has done everything to find the disappeared little girl most known to the world. "It's like the campaign that they are now doing. It serves no purpose and they are only coming to enjoy the Algarve," said Antonio Martins to 24horas, adding that, "to say that the Portuguese did not help them or did not give them all the information is ridiculous. They [should] begin by responding to questions from the PJ and making the reconstruction, then see what the police think," he concluded.

Maria Afonso has yet another opinion: "This campaign will not bring the girl back. Two years later it is stupid to assume that. This will only dirty the name of the Algarve and our streets. Who is going to clean up the papers that they will deliver? I want to know who it was that authorised all this."

Cost of the campaign is secret

It's unclear how much the new campaign by the McCanns in the Algarve will cost, as the financial fund, created by the couple nine days after the disappearance of Maddie, refuses to disclose any amount, only admitting that "it will spend what is possible and necessary to find Maddie." A different attitude from that which was reflected in the provisional accounts of the "Find Madeleine" [Fund], where only 13% of the nearly 3 million euros received in the coffers were in fact used to search for Maddie.

The campaign, scheduled to last two weeks, was commissioned [by] a Portuguese-British company with headquarters in Boliqueime, "Atelier do Sul", directed by Fred Phillips and Suzi Steinhofel, and known as one of the best and most expensive companies in the area.

By coincidence, "Atelier do Sul" was one of the few firms visited by the very consul that followed [watched, kept up with] the interrogations of Kate and Gerry McCann in Portimão. Like her predecessor, Bill Henderson, Celia Edwards left our country after the McCann case.

Translated by beachy: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

original source: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:55 am

24 Horas

26th March 2009

by Miguel Ferreira

Little over 12 thousand euros

The campaign that started this week in the Algarve will be one of the least expensive campaigns that the McCann couple has carried out until now. Under the slogan “Help me!”, with the photo of the little girl that disappeared almost two years ago in Praia da Luz standing out, the posters, leaflets and outdoors that ask the Algarvians for information about Maddie’s whereabouts cost the McCann couple little over 12 thousand euros, as 24Horas has established.

The couple’s spokesman refused to reveal the amount that was spent in the operation, but 24Horas did the maths. Based on market prices, 2 weeks of publicity on the rear window of three ‘EVA’ buses that connect Lagos with Sagres, cost approximately 660 euros, according to a company source. There is a publicity van at the McCanns’ service during the same period, which will cost another thousand euros, as we could establish.

Then there’s the 10 thousand leaflets and posters that have been produced by Atelier do Sul, for distribution in Lagos and Praia da Luz: another 2 thousand euros, according to a source that is connected to the business.

The rental cost of the four ‘Publirádio’ outdoors that are installed in locations like the entrance to Praia da Luz, and along the EN125 [national road], in Burgau, Lagos and Odiáxere, will cost 4500 euros, according to a company source.

Finally, if it had been necessary to pay this operation to the publicity agency that is mobilising the means, ‘Atelier do Sul’, which is owned by one of the most active members of the British community in the Algarve, the McCanns would have spent another 4000 euros, according to a business source.

All summed up, in the worst case scenario – and believing that everyone has demanded payment for their services, the ‘Find Madeleine’ fund will have spent only around 12 thousand euros.

Fund. The amount that has been spent with the campaign will always be a drop of water in the Find Madeleine Fund’s volume of receipts. Just on the 8th of November, a cricket race that was promoted by Greenhills Taverners Society, in London, brought the fund 5 thousand pounds, almost 5400 euros.

Secrecy. The authorship of the campaign was shrouded in mystery for a few hours. On Tuesday morning, the couple’s spokesman, Clarence Mitchell, couldn’t recognise the campaign and attributed the initiative to a group of people who volunteered for the cause. But during the afternoon, the couple emitted a press note in which it assumed the initiative.

source: 24Horas, 26.03.2009

Translated by astro [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:57 am

Herald Sun (Australia)

25th March 2009

McCanns launch fresh appeal in search for missing Madeleine

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:58 am

Associated Australian Press

March 25, 2009, 7:32 pm

McCanns launch new search for Madeleine

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:59 am

This is London

By Gerard Couzens

Madeleine McCann posters are ripped off walls in Algarve

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:00 am

Metro

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Vandals tear down Maddie posters

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:02 am

The Telegraph

26th March 2009

Vandals target Madeleine McCann posters

Vandals have targeted Madeleine McCann posters put up in the Algarve resort where she disappeared as part of a new appeal for clues.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:05 am

Womans Own

w/e 30/03/09.

Real Life Crime: Man Behind the McCanns

Clarence Mitchell does for ordinary people what Max Clifford does for celebrities. So how does he deal with such heartbreaking stories?

As the family of slain schoolboy Jimmy Mizen cope with the daily trauma of their son's murder trial, one person is right by their side. He's not a relative and never even met Jimmy, but Clarence Mitchell is a key part of the team helping parents Barry and Margaret through their ordeal.

Clarence is already familiar to many as the man at the forfront of the hunt for little Madeleine McCann since she disappeared in Portugal nearly two years ago. When the story was at it's height, he was never off our TV screens, representing her parents, Kate and Gerry.
Now the former BBC journalist is fast becomming the person families turn to in tragedy. Clarence,47, has been helping the Mitzens since Jimmy was murdered last May, the day after his 16th birthday.

" A friend of theirs asked me if I'd consider helping with the massive press interest and , of course, I met them." he tells Womans Own.

Working behind the scenes to control the media mayhem, Clarence may have to handle seven or eight camera crews from different TV programmes at any one time, as well as the countless newspaper journalists and photographers. He'll speak on behalf of families or arrange interviews for them to do.

Clarence is also advising Fiona MacKeown, the mother of 15 year old Scarlett Keeling, who was found murdered in Goa in February last year. As in the case of the McCanns, Fiona found herself branded a nad parent for having left the teenager to fend for herself. "Regardless of the circumstances leading up to Scarlett's death, nothing excuses the fact she was murdered and nothing will stop Fiona fighting her killers to be brought to justice," says Clarence.

He doesn't seem suprised by his new role. " With my back ground in journalism and then being involved in the Madeleine case, like it or not, I have a certain profile," he admits. " I am happyto help people, but I never tout for business - they have always come to me.

"The media pressure these days is so intense, there is a role for someone to help families cope"

While Clarence is still paid a monthly retainer from the Madeleine Fund to advise the McCanns, he asks for nothing for the other families who come to him. " I do it for free. These people come to me in the direst of situations with their children dead. I am not going to say no. Nor am I going to say, "I'm sorry about your loss. Here's my fee." I'm a decent, caring human being."

And as a father, he's had to put aside his own emotions in this new career. " I have daughters of three and 12, and a son of 10. You can't help but think of your children in certain circumstances, but you have to be professional and help families who have come to you."

Maddy Update

On 3 May, it will have been two years since Madeleine McCann, then aged three, went missing. The story may have slipped out of the headlines, but the hunt goes on. The McCanns employed their own detectives to go through the files relating to the investigation that were handed to them by the Portuguese police when they closed the case last year. Says Clarence, " We are still working with a samll team. There is a lot going on behind the scenes."
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:06 am

Sky News

6:24am UK, Friday March 27, 2009

By Laura Bundock, Sky News reporter

New Madeleine Posters Torn Down In Anger

Posters put up in Portugal in the renewed search for missing Madeleine McCann have been torn down and thrown in bins.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:08 am

In the News

Friday, 27 Mar 2009 11:29

Madeleine appeal posters torn down in Portugal

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:09 am

Portugal News

28/3/2009

Fresh appeal to find Madeleine focuses on Algarve

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:10 am

The Sunday Express UK

29 March 2009

Anniversary of Pain to bring new Maddie appeal

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:11 am

Observer Magazine

29th March 2009

When Ben Needham disappeared from a Greek farmhouse in 1991, his close-knit family were almost torn apart

Eighteen years later, in harrowing detail, they reveal how they've coped with his loss, the criticism they've endured and why the McCann case has re-opened so many old wounds

(snippet)

"I was devastated for the McCanns," she told me last July, "but it wiped me out to the point where I needed tablets again. One day I did 27 interviews. Watching them on television took me back - living that day again. And it made me bitter and angry because the official help that they got was unbelievable: the British ambassador gave a statement at a press conference, British police officers flying over, a visit with the Pope, phone calls from Gordon Brown..."

Gordon Brown was reported to have intervened when the McCanns were frustrated by lack of progress in the investigation. Encouraged by this, Kerry wrote to Gordon Brown. It took him three months to respond and his reply, when it came, gave her no hope. "He told me what the British authorities had done in all these years, but nothing about what could be done. I know what's been done and it's not enough. He wrote that the Greek authorities would reopen the case if there was a promising new line of enquiry." In her letter Kerry told him that a white car had been seen in the area the day Ben disappeared, and the police knew who owned it, but that there has been no conclusive investigation into it. She was surprised Brown didn't pick up on this.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 am

The Algarve Resident

30 March 2009

New Madeleine campaign underway

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:40 am

Sky News Martin Brunt

3/4/2009

Missing Madeleine and a reluctance to help

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:42 am

The Guardian,

Saturday 4 April 2009

bY David Hencke and Rob Evans

Madeleine McCann case: Resort firm Mark Warner sues insurers for losses

• Company blames publicity for parents staying away
• Claim centres on losses for 'interrupted business'

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:42 am

BBC news

04 April 2009

McCann father returns to Portugal

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:43 am

Sol (Google Translation)

4th April 2009

Madeleine case

Documentary will focus on undervalued by police clues

The documentary about Madeleine McCann is being run in the Algarve will focus "on track underestimated by the police, said today the producer of the film, which aims to assist the investigation into the disappearance of British girl

According to the spokesman of the British girl's family, Clarence Mitchell, "there is no contribution to the funds' Find Madeleine 'or even for the family. The sole purpose of their parents is simply to find more clues that help the private investigation to find Madeleine McCann, nothing more.

Steve Anderson, producer of the documentary informed, in turn, that the film will focus on 'underrated tracks on the police.

Gerry McCann, the father of the child, returned today to the apartment of the Ocean Club tourist complex, where Maddie vanished almost two years in Praia da Luz for the filming of the documentary is being produced by Mentorn Media for the British chain of Channel Four television.

Gerry came to Praia da Luz accompanied by Jane Turner, one of the friends who followed the McCann on vacation and that dined with them in the Tapas Bar on the night that Maddie disappeared, and a team of production of the documentary.

Kate McCann, the mother of the girl, "was not prepared to return to Portugal, the second Clarence Mitchell.

Fifteen players will play the roles of the group of friends who dined at the restaurant with McCann, witnesses and even of Madeleine, which is interpreted by a child "more or less the same age, daughter of friends of the couple.

The footage for the documentary will take place over two days.

Gerry McCann was interviewed today and is scheduled to run from scenes in the restaurant Millennium, where the couple dined the night before the disappearance of the girl at the pool and the Ocean Club next to the church in Praia da Luz

During the night, 'the exact time of events "will be filmed the recovery of the case, said the spokesman of the McCann, explaining that serve to replenish the documentary, but rather as the basis for the private research in progress.

One of the scenes will be the man that Jane Turner says he has seen the passing of a child placed in the night that Maddie disappeared.

Clarence Mitchell explained that the couple has not only rebuilding this earlier, as requested by the Portuguese authorities, because at the time did not permit the televising.

"We believe that this documentary could generate new information that will help us find Madeleine", he stressed.

The spokesman of the family, also said that the rebuilding will be available on site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and the transmission of the Channel Four documentary to be negotiated with several European countries including Portugal.

Gerry Mc Cann not participate in the filming, but will be the consultant team, along with Jane Turner and Matthew Oldfield, another friend of the couple.

Be present also two private investigators hired by McCann.

Madeleine, then three years old, disappeared in 03 May 2007 in the bedroom where I slept with the two twin brothers, younger, in an apartment in a tourist resort in Praia da Luz, district of Lagos, Algarve.

Gerry and Kate McCann were made suspects in September 2007, before being acquitted in July 2008 for lack of evidence to support the hypothesis, preferred by the survey, an accidental death of the girl. The family always said to be convinced that she had been kidnapped.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:44 am

UPI.com

4th April 2009

McCann's father returns to Portugal

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:45 am

The Mirror

4th April 2009

Gerry McCann makes first trip back to Madeleine McCann flat

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:46 am

Sky News

4th April 2009

Madeleine's Father Returns To Portugal

The father of Madeleine McCann has returned to Portugal for the first time since she went missing.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:08 pm

The Telegraph

4th April 2009

By Fiona Govan

Gerry McCann returns to resort where his daughter Madeleine disappeared

Gerry McCann, the father of missing Madeleine McCann, has returned to the Algarve resort where his daughter went missing almost two years ago to film a reconstruction of the fateful evening.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: news of 2009   

Back to top Go down

news of 2009
Page 5 of 23Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next